Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Starting a new book



This evening I opened a new book. I have only read the flyleaf and the front page and have already been blessed. Makes me yearn to read even more.

I have a love for the hymns. Recently I have become intrigued by the hymn writers and have wondered in passing if there would be great value in learning more of their stories.
Yesterday this book was placed in my hands by a dear friend.

She read it last week while spending hours in the hospital by her husbands bedside. This friend of mine has endured many years of fibromyalgia, while serving to meet the needs of her ailing loved ones. Not to say she is not human, but her desire to lose her life for Christ's sake is testimony to the love of God being shed abroad in one's heart. She has endured suffering and it is evident that she is sustained by her loving Heavenly Father. As she placed the book in my hands, she stated that this biography will cause us to view any suffering of ours as rather trivial....nothing.

So on the first page rests the words to "More Love to Thee" by: Elizabeth Prentiss

More love to Thee, O Christ, more love to Thee!
Hear Thou the prayer I make on bended knee.
This is my earnest plea: More love, O Christ, to Thee;
More love to Thee, more love to Thee!

Once earthly joy I craved, sought peace and rest;
Now Thee alone I seek, give what is best.
This all my prayer shall be: More love, O Christ to Thee;
More love to Thee, more love to Thee!

Let sorrow do its work, come grief or pain;
Sweet are Thy messengers, sweet their refrain,
When they can sing with me: More love, O Christ, to Thee;
More love to Thee, more love to Thee!

Then shall my latest breath whisper Thy praise;
This be the parting cry my heart shall raise;
This still its prayer shall be: More love, O Christ to Thee;
More love to Thee, more love to Thee!

No comments: