Wednesday, September 17, 2008

September Letter of Reflection COMPLETED AND ADDED BELOW

This time of year it is important for me to sit back and review the truths that God has spoken to me through His word. It is at this time of year the enemy tends to start throwing doubts regarding the goodness, faithfulness and love of God in my direction. You see, it was at this time of year when we were told that a job transfer was inevitable. I say this time of year…..now 8 years ago. My friends and family know our daily reality of this transfer. During these 8 years, the Lord continues to say, ”Wait on ME.” So easy to talk about, but only He can enable one to do it this long!

This time last year was an exciting time for me. I had been given the job of getting my plans for the kitchen of my dreams in blueprints. I spent countless hours at home improvement centers, consulted with friends, poured over magazines. As I was nearing the end of the process with my draftsman and the kitchen design center, we received news that made it very clear that it was not the right timing to embark on a costly renovation. This too has been another test of WAITING.

We started this Bible Study at a time when I was really struggling with acceptance. I was struggling against God, I suppose. I was trying to manipulate the situation . I was trying to initiate a change when it was imperative to sit back and wait. It was at this time that as I was studying and preparing for these lessons (for parenting) the Lord was revealing change that had to occur; not change in my situation, but change within me.

I thank Him for His gentle, kind, loving manner He dispatches the Holy Spirit to use the Word of God to convict and purify. So, my intention is to share with you the passages that He made real and fitting.

Anger…was there any anger in my heart related to my situation? It had to go. (Psalm 37:8)
Apathy…Stay energized in the duties and responsibilities endowed to my keeping. (Galatians 6:9)
Appreciation…In the midst of these days, I must remain appreciative for the bountiful blessings of God. (I Thessalonians 5:16-19)
Attitude…“I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” (Philippians 4:13)
Beauty…I figured I would escape words of conviction at least this one week…He continued to make His word fit the need of my hour. It was truly amazing! “I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made:” I could accept that…but the verse goes on to say, ”marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.” Once again the tears flowed! My soul does know that His works are marvelous and I must trust in Him!
Bragging…Jeremiah 9:24...”But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understand and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgement, and righteousness, in the earth:..”
Change…God gives us seasons. May we appreciate them as a gift from the hand of our loving Father. (Hebrews 13:8 & Ecclesiastes 3:1)
Character….(Proverbs 31:10) Lord, please reflect through me that I may be found to be virtuous for your glory.
Cheerfulness…Even when passing through uncertain times cheerfulness can dispel the darkness. (Proverbs 15:13 & Proverbs 15:15b) All the tasks of household service can be sacrifices of service to God. All of our domestic responsibilities are part of our calling as wives and mothers. Within this context, the Lord loves a cheerful giver (I Corinthians 9:7) Ok, Lord, I am listening. Please continue this work in me and continue to mold me into your image.
Criticism…”Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.”(Proverbs 27:6) “Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.” (Proverbs 27:17) Thank you, Lord, for my Godly friends that are willing to sharpen me in your ways. Help me while learning to wait on You, not to develop a spirit of criticism toward my dear, husband. Guard my heart, Lord.
Choices…It is a choice to follow Proverbs 3:5-6, ”Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths.” You know the reference I made to manipulating my circumstances earlier….see how verse 7 cuts to the quick…”Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.” How could I continue to place ultimatums on the situation after reading that and it being applied to my situation? Lord, please help me!
TO BE CONTINUED……………………………….......................

The rest of the refection....................
Comfort…Thank you for being so gentle in your chiding. (Matthew 5:4) You do comfort those that mourn. You have given me the comfort of your promises (Romans 8:28). You have given me great encouraging friends (II Corinthians 7:6).
Commitment…Of course I am committed. The first thing that comes to mind with this topic is the commitment of marriage…there is so much more. All the our God given responsibilities require a level of commitment. (consistency in parenting, domestic responsibilities, our love and devotion to our Savior to name just a few) Proverbs 16:3 sums it up so concisely. “Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.”
Complaining…It is so easy to get caught in the trap of complaining at any age. We despise and correct it in our children, but yet so often we find ourselves sucked in. God help us. In Philippians 2:14-16 we are admonished to do all things without murmurings and disputing. Complaining will sap us of all energy. It is not edifying. In Numbers 11:1, in reference to the children of Israel, it says,” when the people complained, it displeased the LORD”. Oh, help us to be pleasing to You, Lord.
Compromise…within a marriage it is essential to be of one mind. That takes some compromise. If it is needed in the church how much more in the home. In I Corinthians 1:10, Paul encouraged the believers to “speak the same thing, that there be no divisions among you but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same direction.” In our “situation” it is important that EJC and I both agree and are at peace. Waiting together on God to lead and bring change will yield inner peace as well as a peaceable home.
Conceitedness…II Corinthians 3:5 “Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;” Our abilities, talents, ambitions are of naught without God’s direction and enabling. It is ultimately up to Him to open doors and guide.
Confidence… As we often sang in prayer group at PCC, “When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the Rock that is higher than I…..” Philippians 4:13, “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” As E. Elliot often says, “God’s command is God’s enabling.” Hebrews 13:6a also reminds me that I can depend on Him to be my helper.
Conformity…help me to conform…to YOUR image. Renew my mind through your word (Romans12:1-2). I Peter 1:16, “Be ye holy; for I am holy.” Help me to develop the beauty of holiness.
Contentment…Help me to find my contentment in You, LORD (Hebrews 13:5).
Courage…Psalm 4:8 I will lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. Thank you , Lord for your protection over our home and family night after night.
Discernment…It is simply difficult for me to single out just one verse on this topic. He led the children of Israel “in the right way”.(Psalm 107:7) Lead us Lord, in the right way. He promises to guide us with His eye (Psalm 32:8). The meek will He guide in judgement and he teaches the meek His way (Psalm 25:9). Help me to be meek and not willful. Keep me mindful of Psalm 18:30,32...”As for God, His way is perfect…He maketh my way perfect.
Discipline…Proverbs 10:17, “He is in the way of life that keepeth instruction: but he that refuseth reproof erreth. ...Lord, please make me sensitive to your hand of loving discipline. Help me never to resist you…never to “harden my neck” to your reproof (Proverbs 29:1).
Discouragement…Job 42:10 reminds us that in times of discouragement, deliverance can be found in serving others. Job prayed for his friends and the Lord turned His captivity. It does us no good to stay in the muck of discouragement and despondency; dwelling on the negative. Seek to meet the needs of others. Our job transfer occurred, 7 years ago, the same year of the tragedy of September 11th. The year that so many lost their husbands, the fathers of so many children who never came home. Lord thank you for a husband that loves us and thank you that we still have each other. Thank you , Lord, for the time we do have together.
Encouragement…Psalm 27:14 Wait on the LORD; be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thing heart; wait, I say on the LORD.”
Example… Help me to be the example to others that would honor you. Help me to be an “iron sharpeneth iron” kind of a friend (Proverbs 27:17).
Endurance...
Fighting…Peacemakers are blessed of God and others take notice…they will be called the children of God (Matthew 5:9).
Many thanks to those that have taken part in these studies, to the many friends that have upheld me in your prayers, and to the many friends that are ever willing to listen and encourage. I thank the Lord for all of you. Always, thank you, Lord, for making your word speak to our every need. It is truly amazing!

No comments: